Thursday, March 29, 2012

Response to Bird by Bird 3

I loved the first section in this week's Bird by Bird reading.  Looking Around is not only good direction for writing but also living life in general.  Being able to become enamored, or at least observe, things we all too often ignore as inane is crucial to, I think, living life!  Without, for example, acknowledging the beauty of the small things around us or at the very least feeling something about anything, what is the point?  I don't think you can write about a world you aren't a part of, and to be a part of the world, you must pay attention to it.
I also really liked the section Broccoli.  I often find myself giving my girlfriend's unsolicited relationship advice along the lines of "follow your intuition".  We all stifle and ignore ourselves far too often because of society or how we were raised or any other reason from a pile of millions, typically (in my case) resulting in some silly situation that wouldn't have risen had I listened to my gut reaction.  This can definitely be applied to writing and I like Lamott's encouragement to listen to your intuition.
Finally, I liked the section Index Cards.  It reminded me of a psychology project from high school where we had to keep a journal next to our beds and record what dreams or fragments remained as soon as we woke up.  Keeping index cards or anything to jot ideas down on your person or around your house is a good way to ensure that ideas aren't lost.  There have been so many instances in which I have though of something great and been too lazy to make note of it, thus losing it forever when it was inevitably forgotten minutes later.  To then catalogue those cards for days when your mind is blank is a good tip on preventing writer's block and encouraging the process every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment