Thursday, April 12, 2012

Response to Bird by Bird 4

I had been wondering through each assigned reading where the section Writer's Block was in Bird by Bird.  Lamott's advice for curing your inability to write is, of course, writing.  I thought it was funny but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  You can not get better at that which you stop practicing.
I also found the section Someone To Read Your Drafts to be helpful.  For those who are serious about writing, I think it is sound advice to find someone who's opinion you find valid and who also is able to read your work and give constructive feedback.  I thought it was important to note that even while something you write may be horrible, no one should ever give you purely negative feedback and that it should remain encouraging.  
The section Finding Your Voice was actually kind of confusing to me.  When Lamotte advises to write as though your "parents are dead" I took it to mean without fear of what others may think or without trying to please someone else.  To write just as yourself is a difficult thing to do, for me not so much becaus eof others opinions, but because of my own.  Fortunately, dealing with your own voice had already been covered in other parts of this book and I suppose in writing this out, I gained some clarification.

No comments:

Post a Comment